Sunday, September 16, 2007

Dreams


vivid dreams of man
never controlled with reason
imagination

I've recently committed myself to learning how to control my own dreams. This decision has recently become a priority in my life following two dreams that have made me question both the things I watch or eat before bed, as well as if there may be "something wrong upstairs" :D

The first is comedic and would have been disturbing if it wasn't for the fact that the subject is my closest friend (besides my wife of course), a true family friend. Also, since I am well grounded in my own heterosexuality, the dream only caused a minor disturbance. It seems that this friend attempted to "groom" his "under hair" and did so in a particularly pink triangular shape. I am not exploring the meaning of the dream, only that I need to be able to stop things like this. The friend went on to ask my wife and I if he did a good job, for which I replied that I thought it was a bit crooked, and not at all straight.

The second dream was not comedic, but rather dark and disturbing. I am unsure if it could potentially be a healthy realization within my subconscious, or just a whim created by stress and tension. It took place in the times of high-school when I still lived with my parents. I'm not sure if my wife was present in the dream, but she must have had at least partial involvement. My father and I had gotten into a heated argument, which wasn't normal when I was growing up. The only tension I have ever truly experienced with my parents involves the relationship between my wife and I during high school and throughout my life. Recently I have come to a pivotal point with the relationship between my father and I where he has lost his infallibility and exalted position in my life, and has now been reduced to avoidance and an indeterminate period suspended communication. (By the way, it's entirely his fault - he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut or how to treat people with respect, especially the people I love the most) Anyway...

We get into this fight, which heats up dramatically... I mean DRAMATICALLY. We started to fight, barehanded, matrix-style. I can't really describe to you how vicious this battle was, or how incredibly disturbing it was, only to say it resembled a very vivid piece of cinematography. At one point my father grabbed me by the torso and threw me into the ceiling, yes the ceiling. The wind knocked out of me, I slowly stood and made a point to flex my might. I started to hit him repeatedly, but he inexplicably stopped fighting and just stood there. I kept hitting him, blood everywhere, as he just stood, not fighting. Yes, disturbing. It was at this point that I somehow woke up, or at least refused to remember the rest upon waking.

Both of these dreams happened within a day of each other and has caused me to find some way of learning control. I have never been comfortable with the time wasted sleeping, and especially of the inability to control my own thoughts during this state of unconscious awareness. It is an extremely important goal of mine to learn the art of dream control, giving me the ability to stop what I don't like from happening as well as creating dreams of my own design.

Unfortunately, the first step of dream control is dream recall, remembering as many dreams as possible from the night before. I hope for my sake that I have seen the worst my imagination can throw at me.

No comments: