Sunday, September 30, 2007

F is for Fork


a lost little bug
wild eyes of a hungry boy
tight grip on the fork

Yesterday, Gavin was running about the house with one of his little plastic forks in his fist. At first I didn't think very much of it, but out of the corner of my eye he seemed to be chasing something and it caught my attention. I got up to see what he was so intent about, with all the growling and grunting. I looked down and saw a tiny little black bug scurrying across the floor, GROSS!

With fork-in-fist, high above his head, he was grabbing at it with his left. As I finally reached him, I attempted to get the bug. At this point many things happened at once. The bug had disappeared, I turned over the toy it had crawled under to find nothing but carpet, and most disturbing:

Gavin says, "Uhmmm" while smacking his lips, fork still gripped in his tight little fist. You have to know that he can't say his Ys yet, and if he could, I would have heard, "YUMMM" instead.

All I can do is hope by some miracle of insect self-defense evolution little black bugs somehow gained the ability to teleport once held in the grip of a chubby little hand belonging to a hungry little one-year-old.

No comments: